Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Standard, or Double?

Just a thought, I had a few friends talking to me about relationships today. The topic generally covered sex and relationship, but what struck me was the similarities between two conversations.

One friend, A, is in a budding relationship. His counterpart was asking to take a step further in the relationship i.e. jumping A's bones, but A is holding off, because he's thinking of starting a serious relationship.

B, another friend, also in a budding relationship, is on his XX'th date with a person he likes, but this time, they've made it official that they're in a relationship, i.e. they're going exclusive....but, they've not slept together

The thing is, A & B both wouldn't even hesitate to go for a quick hook up (not with each other, mind you, you wild minds). BUT, sex is a no-no if they... are 'serious'.

How is it that sex is okay if you're not coupling up, but locked in a sanctimonious chastity vault when you think you've found the love of your life? That's just it. It's a double standard.

The main difference, as A & B would explain, is the emotional connection. There's a great deal of subjectivity to the term, as there was a great deal of subjectivity in A & B's defending their celibacy. As I poked the question to some other friends, they separate the 2 instances of sex to love-making and....well, fucking. So I guess they're seen as 2 different matters in the same act.... ironic? Oh well, some things I can understand, but can't accept. At least, if I don't understand something, I'll just be forced to accept it.

I'd like to say I don't differentiate the two (to clarify, I don't see the two as two different acts, but the same act, just that one is done in conjunction .... WTIH FEELING! :P But who knows? Maybe I'll fall into the social norm as well. Somebody shoot me. I'll pray you're Cupid. I'll go have a double cheeseburger now. That's a lot more acceptable.

3 comments:

  1. We can't really prevent one from doing it, but then...just try not to do it when one is "serious".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's mind boggling.... and seomtimes, gut wrenching.

    ReplyDelete