Sunday, January 23, 2011

Only Because We Want So Much

This weekend was much needed. Lots of quiet. I like it. That part of me hasn't changed.

But there's a lingering worry in my head. It's work, and because of all the rush, my quiet was briefly disturbed by a few relentless phone calls. I'm used to letting go of work for the weekend, so after the bugging, I put it away. Whomever said that work has to be a passion must be so lucky that their wants and needs coincide. Alas, it's not meant to be for the masses out there. Having said that, I still keep my ideals, and hopefully, nay, someday, I'll get to say it for myself, that my work is my passion.

People keep wanting, and they keep seeing and wanting even more. We were born and blessed with a seed of envy inside us, hence the saying: The grass is always greener on the other side; or, in Chinese: The moon in foreign land seems rounder. Every time a person strives and achieves for something, there's always something more. We'll never be happy this way. Maybe we're just happy to be unhappy, or to be wanting to be happy. The yearn drives us to work harder and harder until we can do no longer. Sounds depressing, doesn't it? Yet, knowing this somehow brings a sense of peace to me. There's a lot to be said, but ultimately it just takes away the worry. The worry about work, health, family, friends, life and death.

I think this state of mind is important, and hope that people share the same thoughts. Just live life the way you can, because the way you want will always be there.

Time to let it all go again and enjoy the quiet, till badminton at 4pm, that is. Then to clean my room for the Chinese New Year. Sundays like these are really beautiful.

It looks like I'm not reaching my Chinese New Year weight goal of 90kg. Still 2kg short. Shame. But I still have a week left. Maybe I'll go crazy and binge the 2kg away, which sounds like a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment