Sunday, August 7, 2011

Age Old

Just after I was done with the weekly badminton session with the old friends, they got to talk about an issue. Marriage.

I'm 25 going on 26. The trend among my peers is that people are either getting married, married already, or single. Those that are dating seem to be reducing in number. One of my friends is having such an experience. He's beengiven the passive aggressive treatment by his girlfriend, who wants to get married. He, on the other hand, doesn't want to, just yet. Citing the usual, money, careers and generally the young adult life comes first for him. But he does feel guilty for holding up the marriage. They have been together for quite a few years.

I can't help but wonder what the standard time/age it is for couples to get married. The word that goes around is before 30 for girls, and just about that age for guys. Biologically, it makes sense for the girls, supposedly because it's riskier to have children at an older age, assuming the girl wants kids in the first place.

The issue has eluded me for years, and has now been buried. My parents even spout single line excuses to people who ask. It's as if they know I'm not interested in anyone just yet...and possibly in the future. Anyone that the extended family will readily approve, that is.

A part of me is glad that I don't have to worry about the issue of marriage. Another part of me wishes I had these set of common problems instead of my existing closet of skeletons.

I'm sure many have discussed this before. So here's something a little more specific to ponder: When, if ever, do you want to get married? Should everyone be held against a standard age for marriage?

I  feel that many people now get married because they need to. It's no wonder why half of all marriages end in divorce. Life shouldn't be so miserable. So... mechanical, that our sole purpose of being born is to propagate our lineage and keep our bloodlines in check. (Note: at this rate, Chinese people will take over the world.)

Lost, and maybe in Denial,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment